Sunday, January 17, 2010

Movie: Iron Man


Stop, in the name of ridiculous movies!

Before I begin, I need to clarify something. Many of the future posts in this blog are going to concern things which aren’t happening in the cultural zeitgeist. I’ll say that now. Mostly, this place is an avenue for me to document my media habits and to see how they progress over the course of (I hope) at least the coming year. As with all things internet-related, there is always the high probability that I will forget to sign-in one day, and from that day this blog will become one of the many ‘Pages of the Damned’ that don’t see further attention.


Right, with that out of the way, might I just say that the movie Iron Man is probably up there with some of the most ridiculous action movies I have ever seen, and I have seen Snakes on a Plane. And I put it above Snakes on a Plane. Yep.

Asides from the ridiculous Middle East/Terrorism theme that Hollywood has made its cash cow of recent years, there is a lot to love about this movie. Robert Downey Jnr does that thing where he just plays Robert Downey Jnr, and that is fine by me. It has worked for me since he used to be on Ally McBeal, and it continues, still unchanged, a mere ten years later. The real pull of the movie, and the reason that I actually sat down to watch it, was the promise of seeing Gwyneth Paltrow back on the big screen. Not a lot of people are fans of Gwyneth Paltrow, but then I am not a lot of people. I had a blast, although I thought she was a bit of a crap character, she was still yum. Oh yes, and Iron Man himself looks pretty bad-ass, and I was particularly fond of the scenes set ‘inside’ the suit. The HUD looked cool.

I recommend this film if you have a spare evening, and at least one other friend to watch it with. I feel it benefits from having someone to bounce the experience off, because it is pretty darned loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment